Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Galatians 3:2-3

Galatians 3:2-3    "This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?"

Why would anyone feel the need for a law? To me, it seems that my need for the law is a full statement of the tendency of my flesh to sin. I have the nature of Adam within me and that brings about thoughts, words, and actions that are contrary to God. Therefore, I feel the need for a law, or guideline, that will help me try to live a better life.  But the problem with the law is that it does not take away the condemnation that is the result of my transgressions.  The law merely points out my weaknesses and the shortcomings of my life. So, how can those tendencies, those weaknesses, be changed. How can my heart be put back at one with God?

Yesterday was a day of celebration. We celebrated life - a better life each day and more importantly, life for all eternity. We celebrated the great hope (assurance) of our home in heaven. How has that home been secured? In the previous chapter, we saw "if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain." (Galatians 2:21)  If I could perfectly follow the law, I would still have no way to combat that within me which draws me to the ways of the world which are so contrary to the way of God. Only God could make that right within me.  Paul said in the first verse of this chapter, "Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you."  Yes, Jesus died to save me from my sin and the Holy Spirit has placed a new heart, (desire), within me that stirs my heart to want to live for God.  The question that Paul is addressing concerns the difference in my life.  Did the law stir my heart to make me want to do better or did it simply point out the deficiencies in my life?  Or, was it the Holy Spirit Who brought the righteousness of Jesus Christ and completely changed my desire for a better life?  We will continue this thought, but today I want to stop and praise God for the work of Jesus Christ and for the Holy Spirit Who has revealed that work into my life.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51