Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Galatians 6:1-2

Galatians 6:1-2    "Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.  (2)  Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ."

The Gospel according to John speaks these words of Jesus to us, "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.  (35)  By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." (John 13:34-35) This subject spoke to John's heart in such a way that the theme of his epistle is this, "And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment." (1 John 3:23) Paul was inspired to write concerning the matter of the law of Christ. He was brought to understand that the entire purpose for God's people is found in the subject of loving God and loving each other. All the writers of the New Testament speak to this subject. Peter was inspired to write, "... charity shall cover the multitude of sins." (1 Peter 4:8) Again John asked the question, "... he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also." (1 John 4:20-21) 

Why am I writing all of this concerning love when that word is not even contained in our verses for today? For me, it seems that if I do not have love for others, I cannot begin to consider myself spiritual. Yes, that word is contained in today's verses. "Ye which are spiritual restore such an one in the spirit of meekness..." Too often, we hear words of condemnation rather than restoration. This isn't speaking of restoring someone to my point of view; rather, we are to examine ourselves to make sure we are of the correct attitude. Then we are to seek to point them to the "law of Christ" whereby fellowship is restored with the Lord. How can I identify a fault if I am not using the Word of God as my standard for truth? We are to "bear one another's burdens" rather than to heap more burdens upon them. How can we do that? We are to seek to "fulfil the law of Christ". You might ask, "How can I do that?" I refer you back to the first paragraph. "Lord, please help me to love you more and to love others as I want to be loved."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51