Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Galatians 6:14-15

Galatians 6:14-15    "But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.  (15)  For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature."

"But God forbid that I should glory...."  What does that word, glory, mean? If I could define it in a nutshell, it means to draw attention to myself.  For some of us, we can remember in our childhood days seeing a bright light that moved around in the sky. We knew when we saw it that a new business had opened or some business was having a big sale. The spotlights would swirl around in the night sky when a new movie previewed. I remember the big light at the airport that would go around in circles to alert the planes of the location of the airport. Yes, I know I am showing my age now. But my point is those lights would draw attention to some place or event that was taking place.  Paul said he had nothing that would draw attention to himself, except the "cross of our Lord Jesus Christ."

There are many things in life in which we might attempt to glory. I might try to glory in my success or I may try to glory, or draw attention, to my defeats. I might attempt to draw attention to my strengths or to my weaknesses.  The Word of God tells me that I have nothing in which to glory other than the love of God that is so great towards me that He gave His only begotten Son to die for my sins. It was on that old rugged cross that my Lord showed His love for me by laying down His life. His blood washed my sins away and through that shed blood, I have been made a new creature. So, how am I able to "glory" (draw attention) in the cross of my Lord? Is it not by living that new life in which the Holy Spirit has made me spiritually alive? I want my life to show the proof of God's love for me by growing those fruits of the spirit that are listed in Galatians chapter 5.  I want to show "love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance."  I pray for God's help in drawing more attention to my Lord than to myself.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51