Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 40:1-2

Psalm 40:1-2    "I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.  (2)  He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

David wrote this 40th Psalm with the thought of patiently waiting. This waiting took place after two other things occurred. First, David cried unto the Lord . Something was troubling David and he took it to the Lord and was waiting for the answer to come to him. While he was waiting, he had sunk down into "an horrible pit". We can assume that pit to be an emotional time of trouble - whether it was fear, anxiety, doubt, or whatever the cause, we know David was extremely troubled about something. He followed the instruction of the Lord for all of us... In the day of trouble, we should call upon the Lord.

The second event that took place, before David assumed the posture of waiting, was the Lord "inclined unto me".  That is to say, God listened intently to David's prayer. Think about that for a moment. Have you ever been in a conversation with someone when you knew they were not really listening to what you were saying? Or, have you ever been engaged in conversation when your mind was somewhere else and you didn't even hear what the other person was telling you?  With that in mind, I rejoice to know that when I cry out to my Lord, He gives me His full attention. He "inclined unto me, and heard my cry."  That is to say, He turned to me, bent down to listen intently, and genuinely cared about what I was telling Him. For me, it is a great blessing just to know that God cares enough about me to listen.  He Who holds this entire universe in place and keeps it going each day takes time to listen to me and my concerns. I praise His Holy Name!  There is so much more to be seen in this 40th Psalm. We may take it up again tomorrow.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51