Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 40:16

Psalm 40:16    "Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: let such as love thy salvation say continually, The LORD be magnified."

As children, we used to play hide and seek. I remember just a few years ago, my grandchildren wanted me to play hide and seek with them, but I quickly found out that I was too big to hide. No matter how much I tried, I could never squeeze between things to squat down and hide. Of course, they found me very quickly. There would be much laughter as we enjoyed that game together.  The game would go on and on, "Pops, let's play hide and seek!" Of course they knew they would find me first.

I realized as I typed that paragraph that our God is too big to hide from us. Everywhere we look, we can see God. The key to finding Him is that we must be looking for Him.  "Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee."   It is understood that those who truly are seeking God will find Him. There is another key to finding God that is found earlier in the 8th verse of this Psalm, "I delight to do thy will, O my God." I understand verses 7 and 8 are prophecies concerning Jesus, but they should apply to us also. We rejoice that we are joint-heirs with Christ, especially when it comes to receiving blessings. But being joint-heirs also includes that we should have the same mindset as Christ.  It is when I am seeking the will of God for my life that I will find Him and will be able to rejoice and be glad in Him. It is when I find Him that I will gladly magnify His Holy Name to others. I go back to the third verse of this Psalm in closing - When I give "praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD." May I be used as an instrument of magnification that others can see the glory of the Lord in me.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...