Judges 2:21-22 "I also will not henceforth drive out any from before them of the nations which Joshua left when he died: (22) That through them I may prove Israel, whether they will keep the way of the LORD to walk therein, as their fathers did keep it, or not."
God gave specific instructions that all the nations in the promised land were
to be destroyed and driven away. Because nations were allowed to remain, God
told the people that He would not drive them out for them. The question might
be asked as to why God would not drive those nations out for Israel. He gave
the answer before the question was asked: "That through them I may prove
Israel, whether they will keep the way of the LORD to walk therein, as their
fathers did keep it, or not." They were allowed to remain as a test for
Israel as to whether or not they would place their trust and confidence in the
Lord. God promised the land to them, but they allowed their own ideas and
actions to rob them of many blessings.
How does this apply to us today? I can only speak for myself, but there are
things that cause unrest inside me from time to time. I allow things to rob me
of the peace that has been promised to me through my Lord Jesus Christ. I find
myself asking God to help me when in reality, I am asking Him to take away
those things that trouble my mind. He hasn't removed my self-doubt nor my
imaginations that creep into my mind. They constantly come crashing in and
before I realize it, my peace has been disturbed. More times than not, my
imagination is just that - my imagination. I worry about things that
"might happen" and most of the time they never happen. Why won't God
drive out my imaginations that cause worry and fear from me? Well, it seems to
me that He allows them to continue for two reasons. First, they are to prove,
or test, me as to whether I will place my trust in Him or try to do things my
own way. Second, I have failed to do what He tells me to do. Let me show that
with two passages of Scripture.
2 Corinthians 10:5 "Casting down imaginations, and every high
thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into
captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ"
Proverbs 23:26 "My son, give me thine heart, and let thine
eyes observe my ways."
If I understand God's Word correctly, God will not take away anything that He
has told me to take away. He will not do anything that He has told me to do.
This gives me much to think about today.