Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Proverbs 1:1-7

Proverbs 1:1-7   "The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;  (2)  To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;  (3)  To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;  (4)  To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.  (5)  A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:  (6)  To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.  (7)  The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

I pray the Lord will forgive me if I have followed my own thoughts rather than His, but my study of the book of Judges was very disheartening. I could see too much of our nation as I read through the actions of the people of that day. At times, there seems to be a need for direction and instruction in correcting the situation as well as pointing out all that is wrong. I become frustrated if I am only told what is wrong without being told how to correct it. I want to look at the book of Proverbs for a while to see what is missing in my life that I can follow the wisdom of the Lord. The Lord blessed Solomon with wisdom that is beyond comparison to any other. Jesus is the only One to walk the earth with more wisdom and understanding. I will say at the beginning that it is sad that Solomon did not always follow his own instruction.

I want to start today's thoughts with the basic understanding that the book of Proverbs is composed of God's Words though we refer to the wisdom of Solomon. We will see that these sayings are really words of common sense that bring righteousness, peace, and joy when we follow them in our lives. These words are given to receive wisdom and instruction. We will be taught, or reminded, of "justice, and judgment, and equity, knowledge, and discretion.  May I say just now that wise discretion seems to be a rare virtue in our world today. I pray for wisdom as I go through this book that I might achieve learning, understanding and gain wise counsel in my own life. I hope to see word pictures of our Lord Jesus Christ and the manner He lived His life. I pray that I might indeed honor the Lord, which is "the beginning of knowledge." Will you pray with me as we begin this study? "Lord, bless us to learn and apply your wisdom in our lives."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): The Promise Of Forgiveness - 1 John 1:9

Sermon (Video): The Power Of Plurality - Acts 6:1-7

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...