Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Proverbs 13:10

Proverbs 13:10   "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom."

I think most everyone wants to look good when they make decisions in life. We want to be able to make good choices as we deal with life's issues. That's not necessarily a bad thing, unless our decisions are made solely for that very reason  - "I want to look good in front of others." Solomon had much to say about pride and we will see more as we travel through the book. But as a preview, let us know pride doesn't lead us to a good place.

A growing child says, "I don't need any help. I can do it on my own." A grown person who is led by pride continues to say, "I don't need any help. I can do it on my own." We do well if we learn that we do need help and it's okay to ask for it. In fact, wisdom comes by being well advised by others. Success is better achieved when we surround ourselves with wise counselors. The greatest counselor of all is our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He is the Wonderful Counselor! "And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left." (Isaiah 30:21) We do well if we learn to ask, then listen and follow our Lord's direction.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...