Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Proverbs 13:12

Proverbs 13:12    "Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life."

"Lord, I need patience now."  Have you ever thought in terms of that?  We are not born with the attribute of patience. Tell a crying infant to be patient while the bottles are getting warmed. (Yes, I am dating myself now back to the days of heating the water to place the bottles in.)  Tell a child that an 8 hour drive to the beach will pass quickly. Tell a tired adult that the sleepless night will soon be over.  Patience is not a virtue that we were born with; rather, it is learned through experiences of life. We often hear of the patience of Job, but I have never heard of Solomon as being patient.  Waiting for something to happen can cause all kinds of upheaval inside. Our minds go into overdrive and even our stomachs can become upset if we allow ourselves to become stressed with impatience.  We have expectations of ourselves and of others. We become anxious if those expectations are not accomplished according to our timeline. We hear this said often, and it is very true, - God's timing is not always in accord with my timing.  But the truth of the matter is that God is always on time - according to His purpose for our lives.  I love the song by Karen Peck and New River that says, "God is right on time even when He is four days late."  

I am still in training, but I want my hope to be placed in the hands of Jesus and then patiently wait for His action in my life.  

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...