Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Proverbs 13:20

Proverbs 13:20    "He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed."

Our Daddy always talked to us about "guilt by association."  He was telling me to be careful about my friends and those I ran around with.  There have been many people who have gotten caught up with things that ultimately hurt them because they associated with the wrong people. Jesus said it in this way, "A little leaven leavens the whole lump."  Notice the wording of Solomon, "... a companion of fools shall be destroyed."  He didn't say that that person necessarily was a partakere of the bad deed, but he was a companion or an associate of those who were guilty.  He was taken down also. But the opposite of this is also true.  "He that walketh with wise men shall be wise."  Where does wisdom originate? We've seen it and been reminded of it more than once in our journey through Proverbs: "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom."   As I think about this, I am reminded of Enoch, who walked with God. I am reminded of the three things that the Lord requries of us. One of them is that we are to walk humbly with our God.  Walking with the wise helps us to become wise. Walking with the Lord will always lead us in the right paths. David said in Psalm 16:11, "Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore." There is One who walks with us even when it seems that we might be walking alone. His name is Jesus.  So my decision for today must be this: Will I walk with the foolish, or, ,will I walk with the Lord?   Which will it be?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...