Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Proverbs 24:7

Proverbs 24:7   "Wisdom is too high for a fool: he openeth not his mouth in the gate."

Let me quote the New Testament in the beginning of this writing. "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath." (James 1:19) I seem to be quoting James a great deal as we travel through the book of Proverbs.  There is a time to speak and a time to refrain from speaking. There is a time to listen and then process what has been said.  James tells us to be quick to listen. I won't go back on my soapbox about the gift of listening is fast fading away. (Oops, I just got on that box, didn't I?)  We are to keep two ears open and sometimes keep our mouths shut. That's pretty straight words, but it's true. Not everything needs to be answered by me. And most times, I need to be listening instead of thinking about what I'm going to say. And then when I do not like what I am hearing, I need to be slow to let my anger speak for me. These are hard lessons, but very important in our daily lives. I have learned that I can learn much more by listening than by speaking. Solomon states,"One who is in the presence of wisdom, but lacks understanding, does not need to engage in that conversation."  The gate of the city is where the men of wisdom would gather and give advice and answer questions of people.  It is best to recognize wisdom when in the presence and learn to take it in. There is a saying, "It is better to keep my mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open my mouth and remove all doubt."  Wisdom is a high achievement and one to be sought after. Again I say, it comes in the presence of Jesus. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): The Promise Of Forgiveness - 1 John 1:9

Sermon (Video): The Power Of Plurality - Acts 6:1-7

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...