Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Isaiah 7:14

Isaiah 7:14    "Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel."

The Lord made promises and may I add that those promises have never, nor will they ever, fail. He promised in that day that the enemy coming against them would fail. But He also told them that in order to have any peace in those promises, they must believe and place their absolute confidence in the Lord.  He then told them to ask for a sign.  Ahaz was wise enough not to ask for a sign, but the Lord was intent upon giving that sign. You won't ask, "therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign." We know, and Scripture bears it out, that the sign was given some 700 years later.  Why was it important that the sign be given at that particular time? Why was it not shown immediately? I can't answer those questions, but there is one thing I know for certain. That sign still holds me in my times of struggle some 2000 years after the sign was given. "Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel." I know that sign is true and He still gives me comfort as I believe upon His absolute faithfulness. We know that virgin's name was Mary and the Son given through here was Jesus, the Son of God.  Because that promise was true then and is true now, I can find peace in the darkest hour. I can find strength in my weakest moment. I can find fellowship in my loneliest hour. I can find direction in those times I don't know which way to turn.  

How can I find these answers in a sign that was promised some 2700 years ago? For me, the sign that was foretold by Isaiah is the truth that was revealed when Jesus , Emmanuel, was born of Mary, the Virgin. God's faithfulness and power was shown and He has not changed.  Because this one promise was brought to pass, I know I can depend upon every promise to be fulfilled by our Lord. I can place my complete confidence in my Lord.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...