Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Proverbs 30:7-9

Proverbs 30:7-9    "Two things have I required of thee; deny me them not before I die:  (8)  Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:  (9)  Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain."

It seems to me that this book of Proverbs was a lifetime collection of wisdom that Solomon had acquired by his own experiences. He refers to himself as a gatherer of wisdom and now it seems in these verses that he is of old age. In his lifetime, there is no doubt that he had been surrounded by both men of wisdom and others who were self-serving. I can only imagine that people who had come to him with requests had also fed him lies and vain things concerning himself. It seems the worst thing that anyone can do is to believe everything said about them - both good and bad.  We've already seen that pride goes before the fall. When a person pays attention to all the good things said about him, he begins to believe it. So, now as Solomon seems to be nearing death, he has been allowed to see through all the lies that had been told to him and all the empty things that had been said about him. There are only a few things that he now desires: "feed me with food convenient for me".  Give me only that which is needed for my body and mind to perform properly.

The Scriptures are filled with warnings that people tend to forget God when they become rich. One of the verses in Deuteronomy that has stayed with me for many years now, states "But Jeshurun waxed fat, and kicked: thou art waxen fat, thou art grown thick, thou art covered with fatness; then HE FORSOOK GOD which made him, and LIGHTLY ESTEEMED the Rock of his salvation." (Deuteronomy 32:15) After all these years of trying to fill his life with stuff, Solomon now realized that an overabundance of things would only take him away from God. "Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord?"  Just as Solomon, I want to be on guard that I never place my dependence upon anyone or anything other than my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5      Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.   (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.   (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.   (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.   (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations. Happy Thanksgiving! I want to say that I pray each one has a happy and blessed Thanksgiving.  No doubt, there will be a "joyful noise" as families gather together to enjoy a delicious feast. Laughter and joy will be abundant. I am so thankful for that blessing of gladness upon our hearts and minds. God is so good. As we enter into the festivities, may our hearts and minds be filled with true thanksgiving unto the Lord for His goodness and mercy upon us. Though it is impossible to

Daily Devotion: Genesis 3:15

Genesis 3:15   "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." In this verse we see the first prophecy concerning the work of our Lord Jesus Christ.  The work of Jesus Christ is in opposition to the work of the serpent (Satan). (Romans 8:6-8 )   "For to be carnally minded  is  death; but to be spiritually minded  is  life and peace. (7) Because the carnal mind  is  enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. (8 ) So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God." The carnal mind with which we all have to contend is the offspring of the transgression in the Garden. After their sin, carnality became a constant and daily battle. It was because of sin that Jesus came to this earth. "... "For to be carnally minded  is  death..." The spiritual mind is the offspring of the work of the seed of the woman - Jesus.  &

Sermon (Video): A Shelter In The Time Of Storm - Psalm 46:1-11