Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Isaiah 38:17

Isaiah 38:17      "Behold, for peace I had great bitterness: but thou hast in love to my soul delivered it from the pit of corruption: for thou hast cast all my sins behind thy back."

This morning, I want to look at the last part of this verse: "for thou hast cast all my sins behind thy back."  For me, this is a beautiful statement and yet when I stop to think about it, I realize even more the great price that was paid for my redemption.  There must have been an action taken place in order for my sins to have been cast behind the back of the Father. That action was the removal of my sins and I don't pretend to understand the mechanics of how those sins were removed from me. I am thankful my God had grace enough to take my sins away from me and cast them behind His back. But where did they land when He cast them?  What happened at that point? These words are recorded in the Old Testament and we must go to the New Testament to see the completion of this action. I would like for Scripture to explain this process.

"When the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, to redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons." (Galatians 4:4-5)  How did the process of redemption take place? Again, let us look at Scripture. "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." (2 Corinthians 5:21) Jesus was sent to redeem His people by becoming sin. He knew no sin. He committed no sin. He had no sin, but He was made sin. What caused Him to be made sin? Let's go back to our text verse: "thou hast cast all my sins behind thy back." Again I ask, "Where did they land?" I submit to you that they were not just thrown without a specific landing place. They "landed" on the person of Jesus Christ and by that action, the removal of my sin caused Him to be made sin. 

 When did that happen? "Your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you." (Isaiah 59:2) The sins were not committed by Jesus, but He was made sin by my iniquity. I submit that it took place when Jesus was on the cross. We hear Him crying out, "My God, My God, Why hast thou forsaken me?"  Why did the Father forsake His Son?  He would not look upon sin; therefore, He turned His face away from His only begotten Son. My sin caused the Father to forsake His own Son while on the cross. As I think about these things, I am both thankful and remorseful to think my sins brought the death of Jesus.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...