Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Isaiah 40:9-11 (2)

Isaiah 40:9-11     "O Zion, that bringest good tidings, get thee up into the high mountain; O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God!  (10)  Behold, the Lord GOD will come with strong hand, and his arm shall rule for him: behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him.  (11)  He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young."

We used these verses recently, but there is something about them that warrants our further attention.

"Behold your God!"  How does that statement hit us this morning? Do we ever take time to just simply behold our God? What does it mean to behold? Years ago, I was a meter reader. I often would turn into a driveway and see a sign that said, "Beware of dog!"  Sometimes the sign would be there, but no dog would be around. But I always took the sign seriously and if I saw a dog, I kept my distance until I found out if the dog was friendly or not. The word, beware, tells me to stand at a distance to investigate. But the word, behold, carries the meaning of getting just as close as you can in order to find out more about the object that is to be beheld.  "Behold your God!" That tells me that God has an open door policy that allows me to get just as close to Him as I possibly can. I want to find out as much about Him as my heart and mind can receive.  In these three verses, I find information that is most helpful to my everyday living. First, I see that my God is strong! He is all powerful in His work of this universe and in His work of salvation in our lives. The theological term for that is omnipotent. I prefer the language of Jeremiah when he said, "... there is nothing too hard..." for God. (Jeremiah 32:17)   Yes, He is all powerful, but the second thing I see about God is that He has the ability to temper that power into gentleness when it's needed in my life.  He gathers the lambs and for those who are weak, He carries us. He has provided "green pastures and still waters."  He is everything I need for whatever the circumstance I find myself in.  I invite each of us to "behold our God" today and seek to learn more about Him.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Knowing God By Bearing Fruit

Some will notice the title is not “Bearing fruit because we know God,” so to avoid getting sidetracked with that, we can start with the fact that we won’t bear any godly fruit unless our heart has been changed and the Holy Spirit dwells within us. Also, to avoid confusion, I’ll be using the terms “bearing fruit,” “good works” and “service” interchangeably.  I took this article’s title from Part 7, of John Piper’s “Look at the Book” session on Colossians 1:9-12. I greatly encourage you to view that short video to get his excellent exposition on this subject.  When I saw the title of the video earlier this year, I got kind of excited because that’s the direction my thinking has gone in the past several years. My thinking was founded Biblically with verses on good works like Matthew 5:16 – “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father, who is in heaven.” But I couldn’t expand it to expla...

Daily Devotion (Video): I Will Fear No Evil - Psalm 23:4