Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Exodus 33:11-16

Exodus 33:11-16     "And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle. And Moses said unto the LORD, See, thou sayest unto me, Bring up this people: and thou hast not let me know whom thou wilt send with me. Yet thou hast said, I know thee by name, and thou hast also found grace in my sight. Now therefore, I pray thee, if I have found grace in thy sight, shew me now thy way, that I may know thee, that I may find grace in thy sight: and consider that this nation is thy people. And he said, My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest. And he said unto him, If thy presence go not with me, carry us not up hence. For wherein shall it be known here that I and thy people have found grace in thy sight? is it not in that thou goest with us? so shall we be separated, I and thy people, from all the people that are upon the face of the earth." 

After the idolatry of the people in worshipping the golden calf, God told Moses to take the people into the land He had promised to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. However, God also said that He would not go up in the midst of them because of their stiffnecked unfaithfulness. At that point, Moses took the Tabernacle and set it up outside the camp. All the children of Israel went out unto the Tabernacle to do so. 

When Moses went out to the Tabernacle, the Angel of the LORD (as the cloudy pillar) came and stood at the door. This was visible to all the children of Israel, and they bowed themselves before the LORD in the door of their tents. It is at this point that we take up the scripture. God spoke directly to Moses as one friend would speak to another. 

We need to take care here, or we will be tempted to say that the scripture has contradicted itself. In verse eleven it says that God spoke to Moses face to face and later, in verse twenty, God tells Moses that he cannot see God’s face and live. The term “face to face” in verse eleven simply means that Moses heard God’s voice speaking directly to him. It does not indicate that Moses actually saw God’s face. 

In this conversation, Moses is very concerned about the fact that God had said He would not go up in the midst of the people. Remember that this was like a conversation between friends. Moses did not want an unidentified angel to go before them (Exodus 33:2). Moses asked the LORD to go up with them if he (Moses) had indeed found grace in God’s sight. Moses said “LORD, I want you to show me your way. I want to know your will directly from you. And I want this nation to continue to be your people.”

Dear ones, no matter what our failings might be, like Moses, we need to be determined not to go without the LORD. This was a trial of Moses’ faith so that he would realize that no matter how bad things seemed, he would not undertake a journey without the LORD. Further, he would not forsake the people that the LORD had given him. Rest assured that we still have the proof today that we have found grace in the LORD’s sight because He goes with us. It is only His presence in our lives that separates us from the world.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...