Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Isaiah 53:1

Isaiah 53:1-3      "Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?"

"Who hath believed our report?"  I cannot answer that question for anyone else. I do not have the ability to look into anyone's heart to see what is there or what is not there. So, as I look at this question, I have to look inside myself to find my answer to the question.  Do I believe? I can tell you that I know I believe when things are going well, the sky is blue, the birds are singing, the temperature is in the 70's, and I am feeling good. But what about in the storms of life? What about when things do not go my way?  What about when I am awaiting the results of the blood test? I think of the disciples going across the Sea of Galilee when the storm arose. Jesus was asleep while they were fearing for their lives. "Master, carest thou not that we perish?"  Who has believed our report? I think of the father who brought his son to Jesus: "Lord, I believe. Help thou my unbelief."  Even after His resurrection, Jesus showed Himself to the disciples, "And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted." (Matthew 28:17)  

"... and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?"  Has the Lord revealed Himself to you? I submit that He has. I know He has revealed Himself to me. How about you? The Psalmist Davd declared, "O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens." (Psalm 8:1)  His glory is all around us. I remember years ago, I was having some doubts and expressed it to a friend. He was not the most spiritual minded person, but his answer has stayed with me through the years. He said, "Look at that green grass. Watch the birds flying. Look at the sun rising and setting every day." He spoke more, but those were the words that settled in my heart and mind. Hopefully as I have grown and matured in the Lord, I don't need the visible evidence of the Lord. He has set Himself in my heart in such a way that I know my God is real and His love for me is immeasurable. We will look at some of the ways God's love is expressed as we go through this chapter, but for now, let us simply think about the blessings given to us through the gift of faith that God has placed within us.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...