Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Isaiah 53:3

Isaiah 53:3      "He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not."

Think for a moment: Jesus was the only perfect One to ever walk on this earth. We cannot fully grasp that great truth. There was no sin in Him. He was not born with the sin nature as every other person. The only other person who was not BORN with the sin nature was Adam, but that perfection did not last long. The perfect nature of his clay was marred by his transgression in the Garden of Eden. Jesus walked in that perfection. Peter wrote of Jesus that He "... did no sin, neither was guile (deceit) found in his mouth."  Pilate's wife said of Jesus, "Have thou nothing to do with that just man..." (Matthew 27:19)  Even Judas witnessed, "I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood." (Matthew 27:4)

Why am I stressing these things? I'm glad you asked. Even though Jesus' earthly life was filled with absolute perfection, we read in today's verses that He was "... despised and rejected of men..."  We are blessed to know and understand this was all a part of God's plan as we look back on the events surrounding the mockery of a trial, the crucifixion, death and burial of Jesus. But I still wonder why was He hated by so many people? Why did so many run away from Him, including those eleven disciples. Yes, when the Roman soldiers took Jesus away, "Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled." (Matthew 26:56)  It seems to me that human nature, itself, is afraid of perfection. We all think we want to achieve it, but do we really?  I've never had this particular problem, but I have known of instances where people intentionally did badly on a test because they wanted to be accepted by their friends who were not as smart.  They would not turn in their homework because they didn't want to be the only person with an A in class.  We are afraid of perfection, because we are not perfect. We will never reach perfection until we are changed and enter heaven's glory. But in the meantime, I am so very thankful that my Lord and Saviour, Jesus the Christ, did not compromise. He was perfect from His birth through His death. He is perfect now as He sits at the Father's right hand. I can strive toward perfection as I lean upon Him each day. I don't want to be guilty of despising Him and not holding Him in my heart as He truly is - MY LORD!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...