Ephesians 3:20-21 "Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, (21) Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen."
We love these verses, don't we? God is able to do EXCEEDING ABUNDANTLY above
all that we ask or think. Wow! We love these verses, but do we believe
them? More than that, do we believe that God is not only able, but that HE WILL
do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think? You might say,
"Steve, of course I believe that." And I would tell you the same
thing. But why then do I battle with valley experiences of dejection and
unforgiveness? Why do I have trouble believing that God has forgiven me of all
my sins? Why do I battle those imaginative thoughts that come crashing into my
brain? Why do I lack sufficiency? Rather, why do I feel like I lack
sufficiency? Did not God promise to provide all our needs according to His
riches in glory by Christ Jesus? Did not God assure us that we can do all
things through Christ which strengthen us? Did not God promise to always walk
with us and never turn His back (forsake) upon us? I'm full of questions
this morning, aren't I? The fact of the matter is that I am, all too often, as
the father who brought his son to Jesus. "Lord, I believe. Help thou my
unbelief."
My desire this morning is that not only do I believe the words are true, but
also that I will be settled in my belief that God is able to DO that for me. I
want to build the rest of my life upon the precious promise of my Lord that not
only is He able, but that He will do exceeding abundantly above all that I ask
or think. "My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from
him." (Psalm 62:5) And then I want to be as the Psalmist when he said,
"And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope is in thee." (Psalm 39:7)
When I have come to the end of my rope and the end of my ability, I know there
is still a "But God..." who is there for me.
1 Come, Thou Almighty King, help us Thy name to sing;
help us to praise:
Father, all glorious, o'er all victorious,
come, and reign over us, Ancient of Days.
2 Come, Thou Incarnate Word, gird on Thy mighty sword,
our pray'r attend:
come, and Thy people bless, and give Thy Word success:
Spirit of holiness, on us descend.
3 Come, Holy Comforter, Thy sacred witness bear
in this glad hour:
Thou who almighty art, now rule in every heart,
and ne'er from us depart, Spirit of pow'r.
4 To Thee, great One in Three, eternal praises be
hence, evermore.
His sov'reign majesty may we in glory see,
and to eternity love and adore!