Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Ephesians 3:8-13

Ephesians 3:8-13     "Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;  (9)  And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:  (10)  To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,  (11)  According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:  (12)  In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.  (13)  Wherefore I desire that ye faint not at my tribulations for you, which is your glory."

"That's too hard! I can't do that! There's not enough of us to be able to do that. Somebody else needs to do that."  How many times have we heard that, or maybe even been guilty of saying it or thinking it? It seems that is one of the biggest weights that holds God's people back. We allow our eyes to judge the size of a project and then determine if we are able to do it or not.

You might be asking, "Why are you talking about this just now?"  I'm glad you asked. The Lord gave Paul a task that, if only seen through human eyes, would have been impossible. He was sent to the Gentiles to proclaim the Gospel of our precious Lord Jesus Christ. He did not want to go where people already had been given knowledge; rather, he wanted to go where they had never heard the name of Jesus. I've often wondered as to how he approached them when he would arrive in a new town. The one thing that Paul was certain about was that the message of the Saviour was real. All mankind has the same malady and that is we have to deal with a sinful nature. Paul was assured that the Lord had sent him and that the results were completely reliant upon the work of the Holy Spirit. He did not go in his own power but knew that grace had been given him to proclaim grace unto those he came in contact with. Yes, it was difficult to say the least. He was beaten, stoned, shipwrecked, and the message was rejected by many; yet, Paul remained faithful to the cause. He was concerned that the people would get  disheartened because of his hardship. "Wherefore I desire that ye faint not at my tribulations for you, which is your glory."

Don't give up! God has called each of us to be witnesses of His amazing grace. He will bring His desired results by the work of the Holy Spirit.

1 Amazing grace how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
was blind, but now I see.

2 'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
and grace my fears relieved;
how precious did that grace appear
the hour I first believed!

3 Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come:
'tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
and grace will lead me home.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion (Video): I Will Fear No Evil - Psalm 23:4

Daily Devotion: Knowing God By Bearing Fruit

Some will notice the title is not “Bearing fruit because we know God,” so to avoid getting sidetracked with that, we can start with the fact that we won’t bear any godly fruit unless our heart has been changed and the Holy Spirit dwells within us. Also, to avoid confusion, I’ll be using the terms “bearing fruit,” “good works” and “service” interchangeably.  I took this article’s title from Part 7, of John Piper’s “Look at the Book” session on Colossians 1:9-12. I greatly encourage you to view that short video to get his excellent exposition on this subject.  When I saw the title of the video earlier this year, I got kind of excited because that’s the direction my thinking has gone in the past several years. My thinking was founded Biblically with verses on good works like Matthew 5:16 – “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father, who is in heaven.” But I couldn’t expand it to expla...