Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Ephesians 4:17-20

Ephesians 4:17-20     "This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,  (18)  Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:  (19)  Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.  (20)  But ye have not so learned Christ..."

We see Paul (by the inspiration of God) is now changing gears in that to this point, he has written about doctrine and the preaching of the Gospel. Now he turns to the application of the Word of God in our lives. He speaks to the Ephesians, and to us, that "ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind." It is easy sometimes to read right over a word and think that you know what it means when in reality it goes much deeper than a surface meaning. Paul is speaking concerning a "daily walk" as we go through life. But the word, walk, carries the meaning of the manner in which we behave ourselves. I'm telling my age, but when I was in elementary school, citizenship was one of the most important grades that would be seen on the report card. I was told that I might not be able to comprehend the depths of math, but I better know how to conduct myself in class. One of the terms used for citizenship was "deportment." We were taught how to behave ourselves using good manners. I won't go off too much on that subject in today's world, but the Holy Spirit is telling us that we are NOT to act like the world.

One of the meanings of the word, walk, means to deport oneself or know how to behave. The world is estranged from God and walks about in darkness, but we have not so learned Christ as to walk in that darkness.  The world lives through the blindness of their heart, but we have been given a new heart in Christ Jesus. The world has no feelings for anyone other than self, but in and through Christ, we are to have compassion for others. The world says, "Look out for Number 1." But in Christ, we have learned to love our neighbor as ourselves.  The world only wants more and more and can never be satisfied with what they have. But in Christ we have learned, "It is more blessed to give than to receive." (Acts 20:35) Jesus tells us "... ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world..." (John 15:19) In essence, Paul is saying to you and me that though we live in this dark world, we can be lights to shine forth the glory of God in the face of Christ Jesus. See 2 Corinthians 4:5-6 and  Philippians 2:14-16. Therefore, we are to be careful as to how we walk, or deport, ourselves in order that we will be proper ambassadors for Christ.


Stand up! stand up for Jesus!   Stand in His strength alone;
The arm of flesh will fail you;   Ye dare not trust your own.
Put on the Gospel armor,   And, watching unto prayer,
Where duty calls, or danger,   Be never wanting there.

Stand up! stand up for Jesus!   The strife will not be long:
This day the noise of battle,   The next the victor’s song;
To him that overcometh   A crown of life shall be;
He, with the King of glory,   Shall reign eternally.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion (Video): I Will Fear No Evil - Psalm 23:4

Daily Devotion: Knowing God By Bearing Fruit

Some will notice the title is not “Bearing fruit because we know God,” so to avoid getting sidetracked with that, we can start with the fact that we won’t bear any godly fruit unless our heart has been changed and the Holy Spirit dwells within us. Also, to avoid confusion, I’ll be using the terms “bearing fruit,” “good works” and “service” interchangeably.  I took this article’s title from Part 7, of John Piper’s “Look at the Book” session on Colossians 1:9-12. I greatly encourage you to view that short video to get his excellent exposition on this subject.  When I saw the title of the video earlier this year, I got kind of excited because that’s the direction my thinking has gone in the past several years. My thinking was founded Biblically with verses on good works like Matthew 5:16 – “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father, who is in heaven.” But I couldn’t expand it to expla...