Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Ephesians 6:1-4

Ephesians 6:1-4     "Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.  (2)  Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)  (3)  That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.  (4)  And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."

I hear it often said that children do not come with an instruction manual. That is not true. We have the greatest instruction manual that is effective from birth to death and every day in between. God has not left out anything that is needed in order to live successful and productive lives. In today's verses, Paul quotes "the first commandment with promise" which says, "Honour thy father and mother." He is stating the fifth commandment which is the first commandment that has a promise attached to it. "Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee." (Exodus 20:12) In Deuteronomy 5:16, we read it in this manner: "Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee." Honour thy father and thy mother... that it may go well with thee. I know there are exceptions to every situation, but God states a truth and I accept it at face value. Honouring our fathers and mothers brings a better life for us than if we dishonor or disobey them. The simple truth is stated in Ephesians 6:1,  "Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right." We need no other reason than the fact that God says, "This is right." This is His way!

Then we see in verse 4 that there is an addendum to the first part... "Children, obey your parents in the Lord... AND "ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord." Provoke not your children to wrath. Notice the wording, ".. bring them up..." All too often, we see parents "taking" their children to church. They bring them to the front door, let them out of the car, and then come to pick them up afterwards. God does not tell parents to take their children up in the Lord; rather, we are to "bring them up." That is to say, parents (FATHERS and MOTHERS) are to teach their children about the Lord by walking alongside them. We are to bring them up by example as well as verbal teaching. Parents should never take the approach of "do as I say, not as I do." Children are provoked to wrath when they see their parents living a life that is contrary to what is expected. I realize I have said nothing new in this writing, but it seems to bear witness that these words are needed afresh in our day and time. More times than not, children follow the example of their parents - good or bad. God's command is that we are to accept the task.. yea the privilege.. of bringing our children up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. May we be reminded of the words of the Psalmist, "Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD." (Psalm 127:3)

3 Faith of our mothers, guiding faith,
For youthful longing, youthful doubt,
How blurred our vision, blind our way,
Thy providential care without.
Faith of our mothers, guiding faith,
We will be true to thee till death.

4 Faith of our mothers, Christian faith,
In truth beyond our stumbling creeds,
Still serve the home and save the Church,
And breathe thy spirit through our deeds;
Faith of our mothers, Christian faith,
We will be true to thee till death.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion (Video): I Will Fear No Evil - Psalm 23:4

Daily Devotion: Knowing God By Bearing Fruit

Some will notice the title is not “Bearing fruit because we know God,” so to avoid getting sidetracked with that, we can start with the fact that we won’t bear any godly fruit unless our heart has been changed and the Holy Spirit dwells within us. Also, to avoid confusion, I’ll be using the terms “bearing fruit,” “good works” and “service” interchangeably.  I took this article’s title from Part 7, of John Piper’s “Look at the Book” session on Colossians 1:9-12. I greatly encourage you to view that short video to get his excellent exposition on this subject.  When I saw the title of the video earlier this year, I got kind of excited because that’s the direction my thinking has gone in the past several years. My thinking was founded Biblically with verses on good works like Matthew 5:16 – “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father, who is in heaven.” But I couldn’t expand it to expla...