Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Mark 1:40-42


Mark 1:40-42    "And there came a leper to him, beseeching him, and kneeling down to him, and saying unto him, If thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.  (41)  And Jesus, moved with compassion, put forth his hand, and touched him, and saith unto him, I will; be thou clean.  (42)  And as soon as he had spoken, immediately the leprosy departed from him, and he was cleansed."

Today's verses show a very compassionate Jesus interacting with one who had lived a life of loneliness due to his physical condition. This leper was consigned to a life where he had to constantly warn others. He had to wear a veil over his face so others could not see the condition of his skin. If others came close to him as he walked along the street, he was commanded to cry out, "Unclean! Unclean!" I often wonder how long had it been since he had been touched by another human being. His disease was so terrible that there was no hope of him being healed.

But Jesus! Ah, there is the difference in life. The leper came to Jesus, begging, kneeling, and worshipping Jesus. He made such a beautiful declaration of faith: "If you will, you can make me clean." There was no doubt of the ability of Jesus; rather, there was the submission to the will of God. If you are willing, I know you can. Then the miracle takes place. Jesus, moved with compassion, put forth his hand and touched him. You see, Jesus could have just spoken the words and the man would have been healed. But Jesus touched this man whose heart was broken as well as his skin being broken with the disease. Jesus touched him, not only physically, but He touched him emotionally. Jesus touched him, not only physically and emotionally, he touched him spiritually. Jesus went to the very core of the being of this man and touched him. The man was healed and made whole.

For each of us, there is a "but Jesus" that can make a difference in our lives. We may feel ourselves to be the deepest outcast, "but Jesus.." We may feel the loneliness that this world can throw at us, "but Jesus...." We may feel ourselves without hope in a body that is growing weak, "but Jesus..." Do not ever feel yourself to be as the leper. There is hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Shackled by a heavy burden, 'neath a load of guilty and shame.
But the hand of Jesus touched me
and now I am no longer the same.
He touched me, Oh He touched me!
And oh the joy that floods my soul
Something happened, and now I know
He touched me and made me whole.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion (Video): I Will Fear No Evil - Psalm 23:4

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...