Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: 2 Chronicles 20:4-12

2 Chronicles 20:4-12    "And Judah gathered themselves together, to ask help of the LORD: even out of all the cities of Judah they came to seek the LORD.  (5)  And Jehoshaphat stood in the congregation of Judah and Jerusalem, in the house of the LORD, before the new court,  (6)  And said, O LORD God of our fathers, art not thou God in heaven? and rulest not thou over all the kingdoms of the heathen? and in thine hand is there not power and might, so that none is able to withstand thee?  (7)  Art not thou our God, who didst drive out the inhabitants of this land before thy people Israel, and gavest it to the seed of Abraham thy friend for ever?  (8)  And they dwelt therein, and have built thee a sanctuary therein for thy name, saying,  (9)  If, when evil cometh upon us, as the sword, judgment, or pestilence, or famine, we stand before this house, and in thy presence, (for thy name is in this house,) and cry unto thee in our affliction, then thou wilt hear and help.  (10)  And now, behold, the children of Ammon and Moab and mount Seir, whom thou wouldest not let Israel invade, when they came out of the land of Egypt, but they turned from them, and destroyed them not;  (11)  Behold, I say, how they reward us, to come to cast us out of thy possession, which thou hast given us to inherit.  (12)  O our God, wilt thou not judge them? for we have no might against this great company that cometh against us; neither know we what to do: but our eyes are upon thee."

I use more Scripture this morning than I normally incorporate into the devotion. For many years, I have admired the prayer of Jehoshaphat and have tried to imitate his prayer to make it my own. There is much humility, wisdom, and worship in this prayer and it behooves us to simply think about the prayer.

I confess to you that as a pastor, I often feel frustrated because I do not have all the answers. What? Isn't a pastor supposed to be able to help and remedy all the problems of mankind?  If so, I am deeply deficient in doing so. I feel responsible many times because I could not prevent situations or circumstances from occuring in the lives of God's people. I even feel my prayers to be incapable of giving assistance to others. I feel this may be the position of Jehoshaphat when Jerusalem was surrounded. He found himself in a state of fear. The king was not supposed to ever show fear, nor any emotion in front of his people.

Yet, he was in a situation where he did not know what to do, so he did what he knew he could do. He bowed on his knees before his people and began to pour out his heart before the Lord. I encourage you to read his prayer. Go back and read it often. It is an incredible prayer that gives comfort, assurance, and hope to himself and to his people. The Lord of all heaven and earth is the One to Whom he is praying. He reminds himself in the prayer that the Lord had defeated enemies before and would again. He reminded the people through the avenue of this prayer that the Lord had given them the land and defeated  the inhabitants of the land in order for Israel to be able to live there.

But the part of the prayer that grabs my heart is found in verse 12: "we have no might against this great company that cometh against us; neither know we what to do: but our eyes are upon thee."   Lord, I don't know what to do. I have no ability within myself to go against them. I have no tactic to fight against them. But Lord, we are looking to you. We are depending upon you. We need you.

Can you identify with Jehoshaphat? If so, then lift up your eyes and look to the Lord of Glory and Grace. He has promised to give peace and rest. Trust Him.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...