Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Galatians 1:11-12

Galatians 1:11-12    "But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.  (12)  For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ."

"I certify you."  Paul was expressing his deep understanding that the Gospel he preached was not the result of a smooth talking preacher. Rather, the message given by him was received directly from the Lord Jesus Christ.  In the next verses he will speak concerning his experience with the Lord, but his concern was that the Galatians would not be  carried away by those who tried to convince them that their works were necessary in order to get to heaven.  I certify you... I declare strongly unto you... I assure you that my words were not convinced to me through the means of man; rather God, Himself, revealed to me the truth of what Jesus has already accomplished. As a reminder I ask, "What had Jesus already accomplished?  He told us back in verse 4 that Jesus "gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father." Later in the book, we will be reminded that "... the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2:20) He then went on to say, "I do not frustrate the grace of God."

Paul told us in the book of Romans, chapter 11:6, "And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work." Our eternal salvation is either by grace or by works.  The thing we will learn as we go through Galatians is that because our eternity is secured by the shedding of Christ's blood, now we have the ability to do good works in order to experience the blessings of living in the kingdom of God here on earth. Heaven is secure, but we are to maintain good works in order to have the peace and joy that is ours in Christ Jesus. Paul was saying, "I know this is true because Jesus, Himself, spoke it to me." You and I can say the very same thing. Any revelation we have received concerning Christ and HIs work comes directly from Him through the Holy Spirit. May we practice the presence of Jesus in our lives by exercising the ability to listen to, and follow, the direction of the Holy Spirit in our lives.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51