Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 11:1-8

Genesis 11:1-8    "And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech. And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there. And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter. And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth. And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded. And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech. So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city."

We think of unity as a good thing. It is amazing what we can accomplish when we share a common goal. Pooling talent and resources enable us to do remarkable things. A casual reading of these verses of scripture might cause us to wonder what it was that the LORD objected to.

Scholars agree that it is not likely that these people thought they could raise a tower so high that they might gain access to God’s eternal dwelling place. It was not that they thought or intended to reach what we consider the habitation of God. There are many great cities mentioned in the scripture, so it was not the size of the city that was a problem. The problem was their attitude towards the building of the city and this great tower. 

These people were not honoring God with their efforts. They were focused singularly upon one thing. The idea was “Let’s make a name for ourselves!” Still today, men and women will endeavor remarkable things for this same reason. Unfortunately, even religious institutions fall into this trap of “making a name.”

God had a very singular approach to this attitude in that day, and He does not change. Our purpose in being here is not to make a name for ourselves, but to honor the name of He who has made us. No matter how many times men endeavor greatness for their own sakes, the LORD will confound and confuse that effort. In this, we see the unity of the Godhead (“Come, let US go down” – verse seven) just as clearly as we see it in the work of creation and salvation. 

Dear ones, it is good to seek unity (Psalm 133:1). The problem is not in unity, but in purpose and desire. Let us have grace that we might always use our unity to glorify the LORD and exalt His name. This type of effort God will bless!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion (Video): I Will Fear No Evil - Psalm 23:4

Daily Devotion: Knowing God By Bearing Fruit

Some will notice the title is not “Bearing fruit because we know God,” so to avoid getting sidetracked with that, we can start with the fact that we won’t bear any godly fruit unless our heart has been changed and the Holy Spirit dwells within us. Also, to avoid confusion, I’ll be using the terms “bearing fruit,” “good works” and “service” interchangeably.  I took this article’s title from Part 7, of John Piper’s “Look at the Book” session on Colossians 1:9-12. I greatly encourage you to view that short video to get his excellent exposition on this subject.  When I saw the title of the video earlier this year, I got kind of excited because that’s the direction my thinking has gone in the past several years. My thinking was founded Biblically with verses on good works like Matthew 5:16 – “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father, who is in heaven.” But I couldn’t expand it to expla...