Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Isaiah 56:6-8

Isaiah 56:6-8      "Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;  (7)  Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.  (8)  The Lord GOD which gathereth the outcasts of Israel saith, Yet will I gather others to him, beside those that are gathered unto him."

We have such a wonderful promise that is given in these verses to the child of God who commits himself unto the things of the Lord.  So, I ask myself this morning certain questions concerning this promise.  Do I get joy from serving the Lord? Do I truly love the name of the Lord, or is it just a "run to" place when I get in trouble? Do I "keep the sabbath"; that is, do I separate myself from the cares of the world in order to find rest in the Lord?  Have I truly taken hold of His covenant to realize and experience the love of God that is so deep that He GAVE His only begotten Son for me? It is in committing myself to these things that I experience the blessing of being lifted above the things of life that would weigh me down.  God's promise is to bring us to His holy mountain which is representative of the Church of the Lord Jesus Christ. As He lifts us up, we find that true joy that can only come from the Lord.  

Why is it that great joy is experienced even on days that are set aside for the people to come together and have a work day at the church? Why is there gladness in God's House? Why would David say, "I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go unto the house of the Lord"?  For me, there is sweet fellowship when God's people come together to honor the Lord in worship, praise, and yes even in times of keeping house for the Lord. There is something to be found there that cannot be experienced anywhere else. It is in that moment that we are "gathered to the Lord" and experiencing the sweet fellowship with God.  It is in the "house of prayer" that we can know that our Lord is meeting with us. "Where two or three are gathered together, there I will be in the midst of them." What a sweet promise that is given to us!  The Lord willing, we will come back to that thought tomorrow concerning the "house of prayer".  But for now, I want to think upon the blessedness of joining myself to the Lord in service and praise. I want to think about my love for Him and taking hold of His covenant with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...