Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: 1 John 4:7-8

1 John 4:7-8    "Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.  (8)  He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love."

In the past weeks, we have looked at the subjects of hope, peace, and joy. This week we will look at the subject of love. I confess to you right up front that it is such a deep subject and there is no way we will cover the depth of it. I pray that my heart and mind will be able to simply meditate upon this wonderful gift of God's love that was wrapped in swaddling clothes and laid in a manger.

According to Dictionary.com there are 8 different Greek words for our word, love. Each one is a different expression of feeling for something. Some of the more common words are eros (physical love), philia (friendship), and other words that describe family love, self love, obsessive love, love of play or games, and the most wonderful word is agape or selfless, or self-giving, love. We throw the word, love, around quite often. The English language is really deficient in expressing our full feelings. I love my wife and family. I love to drive through the mountains, especially in Cades Cove. I love Southern Gospel music. I love sitting in my recliner in the evenings. I love a Snickers candy bar.

I wanted to begin this week with today's passage in order to remind us where true love originates. "Love is of (from) God." This is that agape, or selfless (self-giving) love that asks for nothing in return. We know love can be both a noun or a verb. Love is a thing that produces action. Love comes from God within us and proceeds to another. We will see the actions that God's love produces toward us and in us as we go through this week. My thoughts this morning are leading me to meditate upon my own feelings and actions. Do my actions manifest God's love within me? Can others see and experience God's love by the way in which I conduct my life? I confess I have so much farther to go, but my desire is that others will see Christ in me.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...