Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 3:16

John 3:16    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

As we continue our thoughts this week on the subject of love, I am reminded that true love is accompanied by action. I think of the man whose wife said to him on their 50th anniversary, "You haven't told me that you love me since the day we were married." His answer to her was, "Well, I would have told you if anything had changed about that." It is important to speak words of love and it is just as important to show love by our actions. "God so loved...."  It doesn't say, "So, God loved ..." and then He acted as a response to that; rather, this verse tells us that God's love is so deep and wonderful that the ONLY full expression of that love was in the giving of His ONLY begotten Son. I didn't fully appreciate this verse until having children of my own. My love for my children is so deep that I would give myself before I gave them. I say again that God's love could only be fully expressed in this manner.

The sending of His Son was not a mere exercise of Jesus leaving heaven and coming to this earth to teach, heal, and be the example to show us how to live. If we only needed healing, God would have sent a doctor. If we only need to learn, He would have sent a teacher. But we needed saving from our sins. God would have still been God if He had left us in the state of being dead in trespasses and sins, but His love for us transcended our sinfulness. His love was so great that He would not leave us in that state even though it required the perfect, sinless sacrifice. Let's read John's writing from his first letter. "In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.  Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." (1 John 4:9-10) That word, propitiation, means that Jesus completely satisfied the debt that was against us because of our sins. He paid the full price for us to have the assurance of our home in heaven's glory. Yes, because of God's love....

And when before the throne
I stand in Him complete
"Jesus died, my soul to save"
My lips shall still repeat

Jesus paid it all
All to Him I owe
Sin had left a crimson stain
He washed it white as snow

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...