Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 122:6

Psalm 122:6    "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee." 

The Lord tells  us that we are to pray for our peace. It is not an automatic thing because we have to deal with our carnal minds. The mind tends to drift to those things which interrupt. We allow those thoughts to remain which stir us to confusion and sometimes even anger.  I realize today's passage is speaking of praying for peace in a city that was often torn apart by war. And it still is to this day. But in order for peace to be in a city or a nation, there must be peace in the hearts and minds of individuals. We read in the book of James chapter 4, verse 1, "From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?" Wars, fighting, battles, arguments - they all come from one, or more, individuals who want to have control or have things going their own way. It seems to me that in order for me to have peace of mind, I must ask God for the strength and discipline that I would not want to control my life or have my own way in my life. Therefore, I must PRAY FOR THE PEACE in my life. We have seen this week that Jesus is our peace and has full authority over it. The Lord gives us perfect peace when our hearts and minds are kept upon Him. There is peace in believing that God has full control, but then I must pray and seek grace that I might relinquish control. I tell you that I can make a complete mess out of things when I get it my way. Frank Sinatra may have sung about it, but "my way" doesn't get it for me. The verse following James 4:1 goes on to tell us that we "have not because we ask not." Lord, give me grace to let go and place my confidence and dependence upon you that I might enjoy your sweet perfect peace.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...