Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 77:20

Psalm 77:20    "Thou leddest thy people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron."

"We are his people, and the sheep of his pasture."  Like sheep, we are prone to wandering off the beaten path. We see this or that and our desires are sometimes drawn away from that which is most important. But still the "rod and staff" of our wonderful Shepherd protects us and brings us back to the fold. 

 How are we led in "the paths of righteousness"? Is it not by the light from the lamp that shines and directs our paths? Isn't it by the Word of God? It is of the utmost importance that we, as God's people, maintain two things in our lives. We must stay in God's Word. If we begin to neglect reading the Bible, our lives will soon grow cold and stale. It is to our benefit that we have a daily routine of Bible reading. I call it a routine, but soon it becomes a part of us that we look forward to. The second thing that we must maintain is church attendance. I have heard the same thing that has been said from long ago, "I can worship God just as well at home as I can at church." For those who are physically unable to go to church, I'm thankful that there are ways in which they can worship at home. But I dare say that for them, they would LOVE to be able to go back to church. I will never forget visiting with an elderly gentleman in a nursing home. With tears in his eyes, he would tell me every time, "I wish I could go back to church just one more time." He, and many others like him, wanted to go to church and could not. Others are physically able but never put forth the effort to get to church to worship. Why is it so important? After creating Adam, God said, "It is not good for man to be alone." We need the interaction of those who love the Lord. We need the encouragement and influence of being around others who love the Lord.

The people of the Lord were led "by the hand of Moses and Aaron." But also, we need the instruction from God's Word by God-called ministers of the Word.  We need those who God has given the ability to expound God's Word. When the people went back to rebuild the wall, Nehemiah gathered them together and they began to read the law (the Word of God). We are told that Ezra stood and began to read from the BOOK and "So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading." (Nehemiah 8:8)   I'm also thinking of the Ethiopian Eunuch as I'm writing this. When Philip asked him if he understood what he was reading, the eunuch answered, "How can I, except some man should guide me?"  Yes, we all need regular church attendance and hearing the Word of God expounded. One last thing about this verse: Pastors MUST BE LED by God. That's why I said we need God-called ministers who will follow the Lord as they lead God's people. Paul said to the Church at Philippi: "Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you." Pastors, though human, are to be proper examples for the people. "Thou leddest thy people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron." We need to be led by God.

From the song, "Come Thou Fount"

… Oh, to grace how great a debtorDaily I'm constrained to be
Let Thy goodness like a fetter Bind my wandering heart to Thee
… Prone to wander, Lord I feel it - Prone to leave the God I love
Here's my heart, oh take and seal it  Seal it for Thy courts above

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...