Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 78:1-4

Psalm 78:1-4  Maschil of Asaph.   "Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth.  (2)  I will open my mouth in a parable: I will utter dark sayings of old:  (3)  Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us.  (4)  We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done."

"Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth." God is saying to us, "Listen to me!"  Too often, God's Word is viewed as suggestions that we should follow if we want to get our way in life. "If you do this, God will do that." God's Word is not a suggestion; rather, it is the only way to find peace and joy through the righteousness of Jesus Christ. It is the word of assurance that is needed in a society that doesn't always mean what they say. There was a time when a man's word was his bond. Agreements were made with a handshake. There was no going back on a man's word unless he was literally physically unable to accomplish it. Even then, he would make sure it was done by someone who was able to do the work. Can I say this, "I miss those days." We could go back to those days, but it has to begin by getting back into the Word of God and believing it for what it truly is: THE WORD OF GOD.

"We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done." For years, Christians were called the "Silent Majority."  How did that work for us? I'm old enough to remember decades ago when the church (God's people) had influence on society rather than society influences the church. Stores were closed on Sunday. When they began to open, they were not allowed to sell alcohol on Sunday. Schools began with Scripture and prayer.  It was decided that we were not supposed to impose our beliefs on children. How did that work for us? Well, look at who is imposing their beliefs on our children today. They are bold in seeking to influence our children in the ways of evil. It is time for us to get back to the old paths and walk in them. 

 God's peace will prevail over the influences of Satan if we will "incline (our) ears to the words of (God's) mouth." What benefit is derived from walking with the Lord? "That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children: That they might set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep his commandments." (Psalm 78:6-7) Where do we want our children to place their hope? In the ways of the world? I hope not! Rather, we are to be very vocal and bold in declaring the "wonderful works that he hath done" that our children will understand OUR HOPE is in God. I would much rather influence them in the way of the Lord rather than the way of the world. But it takes parents and grandparents being willing to give their time, more so than their money, to their children. It requires pastors delivering messages given to them by the Holy Spirit rather than the latest writer. It requires the Word of God!  Yes, I guess I got on a soap box there, but it's high time that we awake out of our sleep.

Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
By the living Word of God I shall prevail,
  Standing on the promises of God.

Standing, standing,
Standing on the promises of God my Savior;
Standing, standing,
  I’m standing on the promises of God.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...