Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 78:4

Psalm 78:4     "We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done."

I realize I used this passage yesterday, but my mind is drawn back to it this morning. I understand this had a primary purpose for the people of Israel in that the writer revisits the "wonderful works" that God did for the people of Israel in bringing them out of bondage. He refers to many miracles that were done in their great deliverance. Let's be reminded of some of the things he mentioned. In verse 13, "He divided the sea." In verse 14, "He led them with the pillar of cloud by day and pillar of fire by night." In verse 15, He "clave the rocks to provide rivers of water for the people." In spite of all His wonderful works, the people still doubted and murmured and complained while traveling. In verse 19, we see them questioning the ability of God: "Can God furnish a table in the wilderness?" Is God able to preserve us in this waste and howling wilderness? The root cause of all this complaining is found in verse 22, "Because they believed not in God, and trusted not in his salvation." In spite of all the complaining, these great things were told to generation after generation - probably unto this very day, they can tell you about the great works of God in bringing their forefathers out of Egypt.

This may be redundant from yesterday, but it is important that you and I also maintain the truth of these great works. There are many "teachings" in the world today that try to contradict the Word of God. I believe it is very important that we hold forth the truth of creation as it is taught in the Bible. We did not evolve from a single cell. We did not come about as a result of a great explosion - big bang. As we read in the book of Jude, we hold this truth and should "should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." We should be diligent in telling our children and grandchildren that the reason fish fossils are found in the mountains is because there was a universal flood that covered all the earth even above the tallest mountain. We hold this truth because God's Word tells us that it happened. The greatest work for which we must earnestly contend is that Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of God. He left heaven's glory to come to this earth. God took upon Himself the flesh of humanity and walked on the face of the earth. We must contend that it is only through the divine and holy sacrifice of our Lord Jesus that we are saved into the family of God. We must boldly tell them that only the blood of Jesus is the full satisfaction for the debt of sin that we owed unto God. We must tell them that He was raised from the dead and ascended back into heaven. We must contend for the great hope that is given to us that one day, there will be the sound of the trumpet and the shout of the archangel. At that moment, the dead shall rise and we shall be changed to be with Jesus for all eternity. These things and so many others are the "wonderful works he hath done." Praise His Holy Name!  Let us be bold in declaring the truth of God's Word.

Verse 1
O Lord my God When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the works Thy hands have made,
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy pow'r throughout The universe displayed!

Verse 2
When thru the woods And forest glades I wander
And hear the birds Sing sweetly in the trees,
When I look down From lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook And feel the gentle breeze,

Verse 3
And when I think That God, His Son not sparing,
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in -
That on the cross, My burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died To take away my sin!

Verse 4
When Christ shall come With shout of acclamation
And take me home, What joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow In humble adoration
And there proclaim, My God, how great Thou art!

Chorus
Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee;
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee;
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...