Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 83:1-2 and 18

Psalm 83:1-2  A Song or Psalm of Asaph.   "Keep not thou silence, O God: hold not thy peace, and be not still, O God.  (2)  For, lo, thine enemies make a tumult: and they that hate thee have lifted up the head."

Psalm 83:18    "That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth."

Both Psalm 82 and 83 are prayers for God to place His judgment on those who seek to destroy the people of God. There seems to be a theme throughout the Bible of individuals, or groups of individuals, who raise the question: "How long, O Lord?" When are you going to show yourself on behalf of those who are being persecuted? We live in a world today where there is still persecution of Christians. We might find ourselves asking that question also, "Lord, how long will this continue?" We hold the thoughts in our minds that the Psalmist expressed when he said, "Keep not thou silence, O God: hold not thy peace, and be not still, O God." I find my thoughts rambling as we are in these particular Psalms, but the Lord seems to always bring my heart back to this place: "Why am I praying this particular prayer?" What is my purpose? What is my aim? Am I asking the Lord to show Himself strong that I may live in comfort? Am I asking the Lord to show Himself strong that I might not have to take a particular public stand? Am I asking the Lord to "keep not silent" in order that I may be able to maintain my silence? I honestly don't know the answer to these questions. I'm not sure what my motive is even to the point that I am hesitant to speak. But if my motive doesn't somehow settle on the thoughts of Psalm 83:18 above, then I have missed the mark concerning my motivation. My overall desire must be "That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth." Lord, please show yourself strong in order that men will humble themselves before you. Please show yourself strong that men will understand that your glory and honor is to be foremost in our hearts, minds, and actions. Please Lord, "Keep not thou silence, O God: hold not thy peace, and be not still, O God."

Be Still, My Soul by Jean Sibelius

Be still my soul the Lord is on thy side
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain
Leave to thy God to order and provide
In every change He faithful will remain

Be still my soul thy best, thy heavenly friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end

Be still, my soul, thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as He has the past
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake
All now mysterious shall be bright at last

Be still, my soul, the waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...