Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 108:1-3

Psalm 108:1-3  A Song or Psalm of David "O God, my heart is fixed; I will sing and give praise, even with my glory.  (2)  Awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early.  (3)  I will praise thee, O LORD, among the people: and I will sing praises unto thee among the nations."

I've said this before and I will say it again, "I'm so thankful that God created music." There is something about the harmony in a song that touches the very seat of our being. I believe music is born from our emotions whether it be joy, gladness, hope, assurance, peace, or even sadness and sorrow. To me, that is why music makes its way to our hearts. Music moves from one heart to another, from one's emotion to another's emotion.  

One of the saddest times is when the heart cannot sing. I'm not sure what David had been through when he wrote this Psalm, but he begins with the thought that his heart is ready to sing. His emotions were ready to be awakened and his heart was ready to praise the Lord once again. I know that true worship is deeper than an emotional feeling, but the reality is that our emotions are affected by worship and praise unto the Lord. David said, "My heart is fixed." I've always looked at those words in three different ways. I believe the manner that David wrote was that His heart was in a fixed, unmoveable, position. He was set in a fixed position to offer praise unto the Lord. But another way of looking at the word is to say that his broken heart had been fixed, or repaired. We know that only God can fix, or repair, a broken heart and place the music back in its proper place. The third way of looking at the word, fixed, comes from my "country roots". When I'm getting ready to do something, I might say, "I'm fixin' to go to the store." That is to say, I'm ready and about to begin the action. To me, any or all of these meanings could fit at any point of David's life.

So this morning, may we all have our hearts fixed to sing and give praise unto the Lord.

1 O for a heart to praise my God,
a heart from sin set free,
a heart that always feels Thy blood
so freely shed for me.

2 A heart resigned, submissive, meek,
my great Redeemer's throne,
where only Christ is heard to speak,
where Jesus reigns alone.

by Charles Wesley

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...