Ephesians 1:3 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:"
Yesterday, we spoke of the blessedness of God. Isn't it wonderful to think upon
the greatness and goodness of our Lord. The child's blessing before a meal
states it simply, "God is great. God is good." And then to know that
out of that greatness and goodness, "Jesus loves me." My heart begins
to fill with great joy and gladness when I think of the God of all creation
even thinking about me and then knowing that He bestowed His love upon me. Out
of His great love and mercy, He has blessed us (He has blessed me) with all
spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ." Think about that -
"All spiritual blessings." The basis for those blessings are listed
in the verses that follow and, the Lord willing, we will look a little more
closely at them. But for now, I have one thought that I want to share with you
today.
Every one of these blessings are based on one thing: our position in Christ.
There is no other basis for God to even have one thought about me other than,
out of His grace and mercy, He gave me to Christ Jesus. On the night Jesus was
betrayed, we read, "These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to
heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also
may glorify thee: (2) As thou hast given him power over all flesh,
that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him." (John
17:1-2) Yes, the Father gave us to Christ in order that the debt of sin
against us would be paid. ONLY JESUS could pay that debt and praise God He did
pay it!
We read in verses 3-13 of this first chapter of Ephesians these words, "in
Christ.... in Him... by Jesus Christ.... in the beloved... in whom... in
whom... in whom." Yes, 7 times in 11 verses, we read that the spiritual
blessings that are listed are in Christ. That does not count the times Paul
reminded us that all these blessings originate in God, based upon God, and
activated by God. We have spiritual life purely and simply through the finished
work of Jesus Christ. There is no other! All I can say to that is...
"Thank you, Jesus." Today, I hope to spend time in thoughts of
gratitude unto our Lord. Thank you Father that you placed me in Jesus because
of your love for me. We will look on another day about the work of the Holy
Spirit in sealing us unto redemption.
I hear the Savior say
"Thy strength indeed is small
Child of weakness, watch and pray
Find in Me thine all in all"
Jesus paid it all
All to Him I owe
Sin had left a crimson stain
He washed it white as snow
Lord, now indeed I find
Thy power and Thine alone
Can change the leper's spots
And melt the heart of stone