Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Ephesians 1:3-7

Ephesians 1:3-7    "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:  (4)  According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:  (5)  Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,  (6)  To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.  (7)  In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;"

I pray that as we look at these verses, we can find the peace and assurance that the Apostle Paul felt as he wrote these words. My thoughts concerning them will be brief, but I pray it will take each of us into a deeper appreciation of the work of our precious Lord in redeeming us "through His blood." Paul lists some of the spiritual blessings that each of us have received from our Heavenly Father by the work of Jesus Christ.

I will list them again and then try to show a practical application. He chose to love you. He predestined you; that is, He has a place prepared for you. He accepted you in, and because of, the work of Christ Jesus. He redeemed you through the blood of Jesus. He forgave your sins by His wonderful grace. In Luke 15:1-7, we find Jesus teaching a parable concerning the lost sheep. It seems like a very nice parable and we might tend to skip over it and go right on to the parable of the Prodigal son UNTIL we realize, "I am that lost sheep."  I am the one Jesus left heaven's glory to come find me. (Understand He always knew where I was.) I am that one that was out in the briars and brambles of the world. I am the one Jesus chose to restore. I am the one who He brought back and has that place of safety prepared for me. I am the one He accepted and endured such a contradiction of sinners against Himself. I am the one that He picked up and carried on His shoulders. I am the one who has experienced the forgiveness of my sins through sweet fellowship with Jesus.

He didn't have to do it. I added nothing to Him, but He brought everything to me. For me, I found peace and comfort and blessed assurance when I could place myself in those verses in Ephesians chapter one.  "Blessed be the God and Father of (my) Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed (me) with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ."

I know I used this hymn yesterday, but I feel the blessedness of these words again this morning:
I hear the Savior say
"Thy strength indeed is small
Child of weakness, watch and pray
Find in Me thine all in all"

Jesus paid it all
All to Him I owe
Sin had left a crimson stain
He washed it white as snow

Lord, now indeed I find
Thy power and Thine alone
Can change the leper's spots
And melt the heart of stone

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion (Video): I Will Fear No Evil - Psalm 23:4

Daily Devotion: Knowing God By Bearing Fruit

Some will notice the title is not “Bearing fruit because we know God,” so to avoid getting sidetracked with that, we can start with the fact that we won’t bear any godly fruit unless our heart has been changed and the Holy Spirit dwells within us. Also, to avoid confusion, I’ll be using the terms “bearing fruit,” “good works” and “service” interchangeably.  I took this article’s title from Part 7, of John Piper’s “Look at the Book” session on Colossians 1:9-12. I greatly encourage you to view that short video to get his excellent exposition on this subject.  When I saw the title of the video earlier this year, I got kind of excited because that’s the direction my thinking has gone in the past several years. My thinking was founded Biblically with verses on good works like Matthew 5:16 – “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father, who is in heaven.” But I couldn’t expand it to expla...