Ephesians 1:9-14 "Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself: (10) That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him: (11) In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: (12) That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. (13) In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, (14) Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory."
I admit that I am going very slow in this first chapter of Ephesians. Paul lays
a wonderful groundwork here for the remainder of the book. If we fail to see
the absolute power and wisdom of God at work in our lives, then we will miss
the importance of the remaining chapters. I see the book of Ephesians as being
a "mini Bible" in that we find full instructions for life on earth as
we study Paul's writing. It was important to the Apostle Paul as he was
inspired by the Holy Spirit to write these things concerning God's purpose in
action for our lives. For me, I find it of the utmost importance to know that
my life is secure in the heart, mind, and actions of the most High God. He
knows me by name. He deals with me on a very personal basis and nothing can
stop His love for me. Psalm 90 tells me that our God is "from everlasting
to everlasting." Jeremiah 31:3 tells me that our everlasting God loves us
with an "everlasting love." That is such sweet security for me to
know that even though I am prone to failure, God's love for me never fails.
So how can we know that His love is everlasting? First, we believe the Bible to
be the very Word of God; therefore, we know this is true because "the
Bible tells me so." God cannot lie. God promised. It's settled for all
eternity. Paul wrote to the young preacher, Titus, concerning
"acknowledging the truth..... In hope of eternal life, which God, that
cannot lie, promised before the world began." (Titus 1:2) God cannot lie.
He promised eternal life before the world began. That life was not based upon
my works (as we will see in Ephesians chapter 2). I did not earn it. I did not
deserve it. God promised it. He secured it by the shed blood of Jesus Christ..
How is it secured for us? We read in today's passages, "... ye were sealed
with that Holy Spirit of promise." When our Momma would can fruits
and vegetables, there was a process whereby the jars were sealed . Because it
was a human endeavor, there was always a possibility of the seal not being
tight. If the seal was not tight, then the contents of the jar would spoil or
be ruined. BUT GOD... has "sealed us with that holy Spirit of
promise." God cannot lie. That seal is perfect. There is no
"chance" whatsoever of that seal being broken because it is the
promise of God. He cannot lie. When God gave us "eternal life," we
can be assured that because it is the work of God, it is, in reality,
ETERNAL. Thank you Father. Thank you Jesus. Thank you Holy Spirit.
Because of His work, I praise His glorious love and actions toward me.
1 Come, thou Fount of every blessing;
tune my heart to sing thy grace;
streams of mercy, never ceasing,
call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
sung by flaming tongues above;
praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,
mount of God’s unchanging love!
3 O to grace how great a debtor
daily I’m constrained to be!
Let that grace now, like a fetter,
bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here’s my heart; O take and seal it;
seal it for thy courts above.