Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Ephesians 4:20-24

Ephesians 4:20-24     "But ye have not so learned Christ;  (21)  If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:  (22)  That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;  (23)  And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;  (24)  And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness."

"If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus: That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man..." As I read these words just now, it hit me as hard as ever before that when we read the Bible, we are reading God's Word. I know I say that often, but it hit me in a different way this morning. As we are reading God's Word, we should be asking to "hear God's voice." Yes, if it is God's Word (and it is), then we should know that we are listening to the voice of the Lord. We might sometimes be tempted to say, "Well, I've never heard the voice of God like Moses and the prophets." But that's not true. We hear His voice each time we read. So my question to myself this morning is this: "As I hear, do I listen?" And yes, there is a difference. We can hear the noise of a voice and never hear (or pay attention) to what is being said. How many times have you had to ask, "What did you say?" And it was because you heard, but were not listening. So this morning, I am subjecting myself to the scrutiny of determining how often I hear, but do not listen.

If I have heard Him, then I have been taught to "put off ... the former conversation (of) the old man." That is to say, God has spoken to me that "... if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." In Christ Jesus, I am a new creation; therefore, I am to put away the thoughts, deeds, and speech of the old way. I am no longer that creature that walked in darkness and enjoyed the life of the worldly minded. I am to put that away and search for the paths of Christ that lead to the abundant life that He has promised. But though I am a new creation in heart, I still have to deal with my carnal mind that needs training in the new way. That is where God's Word comes into my life in such a way that I can hear God saying to me, "This is the way... walk therein." AND.. because I have a new nature, I must discipline myself to leave the old way behind and walk in the life of the "new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness." Yes, I must renew that manner of thinking and living every single day. In fact, I need to renew my mind several times every day. How about you? Am I listening as God speaks to me through His Word? Are you?

1 Take time to be holy, speak oft with thy Lord;
abide in Him always, and feed on His word.
Make friends of God’s children, help those who are weak,
forgetting in nothing His blessing to seek.

2 Take time to be holy, the world rushes on;
spend much time in secret with Jesus alone.
By looking to Jesus, like Him thou shalt be;
thy friends in thy conduct His likeness shall see.

3 Take time to be holy, let Him be thy guide,
and run not before Him, whatever betide.
In joy or in sorrow, still follow the Lord,
and, looking to Jesus, still trust in His word.

4 Take time to be holy, be calm in thy soul,
each thought and each motive beneath His control.
Thus led by His Spirit to fountains of love,
thou soon shalt be fitted for service above.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...