Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Ephesians 4:29-32

Ephesians 4:29-32    "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.  (30)  And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.  (31)  Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:  (32)  And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."

I will go straight to the point on this one. I wish all of us could pay closer attention to these four verses. There were two words that jumped out at me when I read these passages: corrupt and clamour. Although I use this Facebook media for my devotions, I find myself having to scroll past more and more of the posts because people hide behind their screens to express their corrupt clamouring communication. I know this is my opinion, but it's how I feel. I love to read those posts which declare the Word of God and I enjoy those posts which make me smile or sometimes even cause a chuckle to come out of me. But it seems that many of God's people have forgotten the words of these verses and how sacred the Word of God truly is. "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." God is saying we are to use our words to build up others rather than to tear down. Not only is He telling us to do this, but He also says that it grieves the Holy Spirit when we do otherwise.

It isn't just on Facebook that this happens. It seems everyday on the highways, people are filled with anger. And oftentimes, I wish I couldn't read the lips of some of the words that are being spoken. We live in what seems to be and angry and bitter world now. God says, "put (this) away from you, with all malice." I don't believe it to be old-fashioned to follow verse 32: "And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." Kindness is not out of style. Tenderheartedness is not a sign of weakness; rather, it is true strength. I can say this with all assurance: "There has only been one perfect Person who has ever walked the face of the earth." His name is Jesus. Therefore, we all need to exercise forgiveness toward others. Why? Because "God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." I pray I will never forget the great cost that was paid for my forgiveness. Just as a reminder, IT WAS THE BLOOD OF MY PRECIOUS LORD JESUS CHRIST.  I've never had to shed blood to forgive anyone, so surely I can exercise forgiveness and kindness toward others.

How deep the Father's love for us - How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son - To make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss - The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon the cross - My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice - Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there -Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life - I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart His wounds have paid my ransom

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...