Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Matthew 7:1-2

Matthew 7:1-2    "Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."

The scriptures give us clear instruction concerning the things we should judge. In John 7:24 Jesus tells us to not judge by appearance, but to judge righteously. In Romans 14:13, Paul tells us that we should not judge one another anymore, but instead to judge that no man deters another in their efforts to walk with God. One thing this admonishment is not is a blank check for everybody to do as they please.

What we cannot judge is the heart of others. While we may be able to tell by a person’s walk whether they are a disciple (follower) of Jesus, we do not have the ability to see or know the work that God is doing (or will do) the heart of another. We who are kept by the grace of God have a difficult time with the concept of how truly sinful we are by nature. Consider the very worst individual that you can think of and then try to realize that the difference between us and them is only the grace of God in our lives.

Our judgments can be skewed by many things. I grew up in a very conservative area of hard-working people who had strict ideas about how a man was to look. For many years, that caused me to make some extremely poor judgements. I will share one such occasion with you, and perhaps you can learn from it.

I grew up thinking that a Godly man dressed in a conservative manner, kept his hair cut neatly (not growing out over his ears or past his shirt collar), and while facial hair was tolerated, it certainly was not encouraged. I was blessed one evening to have the opportunity of seeing and hearing a popular Southern gospel group. When their lead singer walked out, he had a beard, his hair was halfway down his back, and he was wearing a trench coat, of all things! And to my shame, my first thought was, “Well, if that man is a gospel singer, then the woods are full of them.”

I had judged him already in my mind as one who could not possibly be sincere about serving God. And then he opened his mouth and began to sing. I have never seen a more beautiful countenance on a man than the look on his face as he began to sing praise to the Lord. I was immediately judged by the Holy Ghost and reminded again that I was in no place to judge who God could call to serve Him.

Dear ones, be wise about where you go and what you do. Never be afraid to call evil what it is. But God alone is a discerner of the hearts of men. Christ alone is our Savior. The judgement of men belongs to God, and it is to our shame when we forget this truth.    

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion (Video): I Will Fear No Evil - Psalm 23:4

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...