Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 1:1-5

Genesis 1:1-5    "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (2) And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. (3) And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. (4) And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. (5) And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day."

We finished our study of Ephesians and I began praying about where the Lord would have me go in our next series of study. I feel the Holy Spirit is directing me to do a study of various people in the Bible. So then I began asking the Lord where I should begin in this study. I wish I could tell you that immediately... I mean immediately... my mind said, "Let's begin with God." It was a couple days into the time of prayer that my heart was stung by the words, "Why would you not start "in the beginning"?  I mean that's pretty obvious, isn't it? So I ask the Lord to forgive me and I begin these writings with the words, "In the beginning God ..."

The theory of evolution teaches completely contrary to the Word of God. Evolution says God did the best He could do and then creation had to finish the work. If that is true, then three words that are repeated in Genesis chapter one are false.  If evolution is true then God was mistaken when He declared, "It is good." If those three words are false, then how can we be sure that any other word in the Bible is true?

"God created." These two words form the very basis of our theology. Do we believe God is truly omnipotent, or do we believe God does as much as He can do and the rest is up to us? You might ask why would I begin in the beginning with those thoughts? If we do not understand that God does not need us for any reason, then we might be tempted to try to grab some of the glory. I do not believe it was a coincidence that God waited until the 6th day before creating Adam. Man cannot take any credit or glory in the work of God simply because he was not there until the end of God's work. When time began - God is. He did not come to be nor did He gain in personality or ability. For a side note.. when God spoke to Moses, He did not say "I was.." nor did He say, "I will be.." No, God said, I AM!  He always has been and He always will be the sovereign God of heaven and earth.

Why would the account of creation be repeated throughout the Bible if God really didn't create this universe and all that is in it? Either God is all powerful or He is a myth.  I believe God is sovereign in power, wisdom, glory, and honor. I believe all power belongs unto our God. I believe that "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not." (John 1:1-5)   Tomorrow, we will take up at the point of darkness and light.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion (Video): I Will Fear No Evil - Psalm 23:4

Daily Devotion: Knowing God By Bearing Fruit

Some will notice the title is not “Bearing fruit because we know God,” so to avoid getting sidetracked with that, we can start with the fact that we won’t bear any godly fruit unless our heart has been changed and the Holy Spirit dwells within us. Also, to avoid confusion, I’ll be using the terms “bearing fruit,” “good works” and “service” interchangeably.  I took this article’s title from Part 7, of John Piper’s “Look at the Book” session on Colossians 1:9-12. I greatly encourage you to view that short video to get his excellent exposition on this subject.  When I saw the title of the video earlier this year, I got kind of excited because that’s the direction my thinking has gone in the past several years. My thinking was founded Biblically with verses on good works like Matthew 5:16 – “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father, who is in heaven.” But I couldn’t expand it to expla...