Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 4:25-26 and 5:3-5

Genesis 4:25-26     "And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.  (26)  And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD."

Genesis 5:3-5     "And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:  (4)  And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:  (5)  And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died."

I included Genesis 5:5 for three words: "... and he died." I included Genesis 4:26 for a specific phrase: "... then began men to call upon the name of the LORD." Before the fall of Adam, we read that God came down and walked with Adam and Eve in the Garden. It was a daily privilege for constant communication between Adam and God, but after Adam's transgression, we read in Genesis 3:24 that God "... drove out the man." I believe they realized the glory that had been removed because of their sin; therefore, they began "to call upon the name of the LORD."

We read that Adam and Eve brought forth another son, named Seth, after the death of Abel. Just a quick sidenote, these are not the only children of Adam and Eve but for this writing, Seth is the only one under consideration. Bear with me while I set up my thoughts here. We read when God made Adam, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness..." I bring this out for a specific reason. We read concerning Seth when he was born that Adam "... begat a son in his own likeness, after his image." Before the transgression, Adam was without sin; but, afterward he was not that sinless man. If you will allow me, he lost that "image and likeness of God" because of sin. Satan told Eve should would become like God if she ate of the tree; but instead, they lost the likeness of God's sinless image. Seth was born in the likeness and image of Adam which was a sinful condition. Not only was Seth born in that image, but every single human being that has ever been on the face of the earth, with the exception of One, also was born in the image and likeness of Adam. That includes you and me. It seems men understood that loss and because of that they (and we today) "began to call upon the name of the Lord." We were dead in tresspasses and sin not because of Adam's sin; rather, our very own sin caused us to experience that death. We needed a Saviour and the Lord willing on Monday, we will look at that ONE Who walked on this earth without sin of His own. We know His name is Jesus.

1 What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Refrain:
O precious is the flow
that makes me white as snow;
no other fount I know;
nothing but the blood of Jesus.

2 For my pardon this I see:
nothing but the blood of Jesus.
For my cleansing this my plea:
nothing but the blood of Jesus. [Refrain]

3 Nothing can for sin atone:
nothing but the blood of Jesus.
Naught of good that I have done:
nothing but the blood of Jesus. [Refrain]

4 This is all my hope and peace:
nothing but the blood of Jesus.
This is all my righteousness:
nothing but the blood of Jesus. [Refrain]

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion (Video): I Will Fear No Evil - Psalm 23:4