Genesis 7:5 "And Noah did according unto all that the LORD commanded him."
There are many things we could write about Noah. He found grace in the eyes of
the Lord. He built the ark in a place where water was not an abundant
resource. He took his family into the boat as God brought the animals. He
rode the storm inside that great vessel. He wasn't a perfect man, but he is
listed in the "Hall of Faith" chapter of the book of Hebrews.
"By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved
with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he
condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by
faith." (Hebrews 11:7) Yes, there are many great things to be
said about this man, but our text verse came to maind as I thought about Noah
this morning. He "did according unto all that the LORD commanded
him."
He did all that the Lord commanded him. Yes, I repeat it because that is a
noble and wonderful thought to keep in mind today. I wish I could sit here and
confidently write that I have done all that the Lord commanded me to do. But I
can't. How about you? For 120 years, Noah worked on that boat. It was an
awesome endeavor and I'm sure he endured much controversy and mockery while
working. Human nature has not changed over the millenia. People tend to make
fun of that which they do not understand. It is understood that it had never
rained before the time of the flood; yet, Noah kept building and preaching
about the coming flood. He was warning the people, but all they could see was
this huge boat taking shape day by day. After ten years, "Hey Noah, you
said it was going to rain and the earth would be flooded. Where's that rain? 20
years.. 50 years... 100 years.... Hey Noah, where's the rain? Why are you still
working on that big boat?" In all that, "Noah did according unto all
that the LORD commanded him." I cannot honestly tell you how I would have
reacted to all that. But I know how Noah responded. He kept building and
preaching. He kept doing all that God commanded him to do. How is it with you
and me this morning? How strong is my faith that I would continue even in the
face of adversity? I can only pray that I will be faithful to my Lord.
1 Sweet are the promises, Kind is the word,
Dearer far than any message man ever heard;
Pure was the mind of Christ, Sinless I see;
He the great example is, and pattern for me.
Chorus:
Where He leads I’ll follow,
Follow all the way.
Where He leads I’ll follow,
Follow Jesus ev’ry day.
2 Sweet is the tender love Jesus hath shown,
Sweeter far than any love that mortals have known;
Kind to the erring one, Faithful is He;
He the great example is, and pattern for me. (Chorus)
3 List' to His loving words, “Come unto Me;”
Weary, heavy-laden, there is sweet rest for thee;
Trust in His promises, Faithful and sure;
Lean upon the Savior, and thy soul is secure. (Chorus)