Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Matthew 10:12-15

Matthew 10:12-15     "And when ye come into an house, salute it. And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you. And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city."

As Jesus continues to instruct His disciples concerning their travels, it is apparent that they will not receive a warm welcome everywhere. It is also apparent that the Lord will be aware of every step and circumstance as they journey. Luke 10:5 tells us that the salutation to be given when a home was entered was “Peace be to this house.” The worthy house (including its inhabitants) was one where real hospitality and kindness were found.

The idea of “letting” as it is used in the scripture does not always mean to allow something. When God said, “Let there be light” it was not about allowing the light to shine but rather causing it to do so. The phrase Jesus used, “let your peace come upon it” was not about the disciples being in control of that peace. Rather, it was a promise that if the house was worthy God would honor their salutation of peace to the house and cause His peace to abide there.

The house being unworthy was an indication that those that lived there gave the outward appearance of being hospitable and kind but were the opposite. They would fail to show a welcome to the disciples or to help them on their journey. The phrase “let your peace return to you” was Jesus telling them that He would not allow His peace to abide there. The disciples were instructed to not take so much as the dust from any place where the teaching of Jesus and those He has sent was rejected.

Remember that this was Jesus’s instruction to them concerning the Jews they were first sent to. Jesus knew they would reject Him as a nation (John 1:11). In God’ holy judgement, the Jews were broken out of the Vine, and the Gentiles were grafted in (Romans 11:17-24). This was not about where they would spend eternity, but rather about the kingdom of heaven which was at hand (Matthew 10:7).

Dear ones, being sent by Jesus with the message of His kingdom is no small thing. Neither is receiving them who are sent with this message. As we go in His service, God watches over our steps, and His peace is with us. Where His word is gladly received, He also leaves His peace there. Where His word is not received, we are to carry nothing (not even the dust) from that place. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion (Video): I Will Fear No Evil - Psalm 23:4

Daily Devotion: Knowing God By Bearing Fruit

Some will notice the title is not “Bearing fruit because we know God,” so to avoid getting sidetracked with that, we can start with the fact that we won’t bear any godly fruit unless our heart has been changed and the Holy Spirit dwells within us. Also, to avoid confusion, I’ll be using the terms “bearing fruit,” “good works” and “service” interchangeably.  I took this article’s title from Part 7, of John Piper’s “Look at the Book” session on Colossians 1:9-12. I greatly encourage you to view that short video to get his excellent exposition on this subject.  When I saw the title of the video earlier this year, I got kind of excited because that’s the direction my thinking has gone in the past several years. My thinking was founded Biblically with verses on good works like Matthew 5:16 – “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father, who is in heaven.” But I couldn’t expand it to expla...