Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Matthew 10:37-39

Matthew 10:37-39     "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it."

The tenth chapter of Matthew is full of instruction that Jesus gave to His disciples. He warned of men who would seek their destruction. He told them He was sending them forth as sheep among wolves. They would be persecuted and brought to stand before both Jews and Gentiles to bear witness of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Those that follow Christ are to revere God rather than man. In this instruction we find a very simple yet profound statement about the way our Heavenly Father watches over us. Jesus tells us that not one sparrow falls from the sky without our Father’s knowledge. The sparrow is found on every continent in the world except for Antarctica, so there are a lot of sparrows. In His eyes, we are worth far more than the sparrows.

Through all our trials, we have One who is faithful in all things. His faithfulness and love deserve our utmost attention and devotion. Jesus is not telling us that we should not love our parents or our children. He is telling us that our love for Him should be greater than our love for all others.

Dear ones, we cannot hold anyone or anything as being more important in our lives than Jesus. Without Him, we cannot properly love anyone else. If we would in any sense be deserving (worthy) to follow Him, then He must be the only One we follow. When we live according to our own devices, we will not find any lasting satisfaction in life. When we deny ourselves (lose our life), take up our cross, and follow Jesus we will not only find life, but find it more abundant than we could ever imagine.    

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion (Video): I Will Fear No Evil - Psalm 23:4

Daily Devotion: Knowing God By Bearing Fruit

Some will notice the title is not “Bearing fruit because we know God,” so to avoid getting sidetracked with that, we can start with the fact that we won’t bear any godly fruit unless our heart has been changed and the Holy Spirit dwells within us. Also, to avoid confusion, I’ll be using the terms “bearing fruit,” “good works” and “service” interchangeably.  I took this article’s title from Part 7, of John Piper’s “Look at the Book” session on Colossians 1:9-12. I greatly encourage you to view that short video to get his excellent exposition on this subject.  When I saw the title of the video earlier this year, I got kind of excited because that’s the direction my thinking has gone in the past several years. My thinking was founded Biblically with verses on good works like Matthew 5:16 – “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father, who is in heaven.” But I couldn’t expand it to expla...