Skip to main content

Daily Devotion (Video): Isaiah 55:1-3

Isaiah 55:1-3     "Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.  (2)  Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness.  (3)  Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David."

The Word of God is truly amazing! Though these words were written some 2700 years ago, they are just as pertinent today as then.  God inspired the Prophet Isaiah to write words that are intended to cause each one of us to take inventory of where we are in our lives.  Remember when God asked Adam, "Where art thou?" God was not asking this question in order to find Adam; rather, the intention of the question was to cause Adam to stop and take inventory. Where are you? Why are you there? How did you get there? Of course Adam's answer was: "I'm hiding in the bushes because I'm afraid. I'm afraid because I transgressed your law." But then, he went on to try to blame Eve for the transgression.  I remind us of this because the ultimate depth of today's verses are intended to cause us to look around to see where we are. What has it cost us to be where we are?  What do we have as the result of our actions?  We spend that which is of great price in order to get something that is worthless.  I am remembering a child at the fair who spends quarter after quarter to win some cheap plastic toy that doesn't even last long enough to get it home.  God is asking us today, "Why are you spending good money for something that is useless?"  Why are you spending so much time on worldly things that do not add one bit of importance to your life?

What is God's answer? Look at verse 3, "... come unto me... " Verse 1 tells us that we do not need money to buy that which is of the utmost importance. In fact, you can't buy it with money, but it is the only thing that will satisfy your hungry soul.  Coca-Cola is advertised as the real thing, but in reality it only makes you more thirsty. Water is indeed the real thing and the only thing that will satisfy the natural thirst.  The Living Water of Jesus Christ is the only real thing that will satisfy a thirsty soul.  He stands with open arms, saying, "Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I WILL give you rest."  What does it cost? It requires that we lay aside our pride and humble ourselves to say, "Lord, I need you."  In that time of humility, Christ gives that peace and joy that is only found in Him.  How long will God's people try to find satisfaction in the things of the world that try to imitate peace?  It's found only in Jesus.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...