Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Exodus 4:2-3

Exodus 4:2-3     "And the LORD said unto him, What is that in thine hand? And he said, A rod.  (3)  And he said, Cast it on the ground. And he cast it on the ground, and it became a serpent; and Moses fled from before it."

We continue our look at Moses this morning. We read this verse last week, but I want us to think about the mercies of God as He uses the things we have been given the ability to use. Moses had tried to explain to God that he was incapable of doing what the Lord was calling him to do. "What is in thine hand?" Moses was quick to answer because he had used this instrument for 40 years. "What's in your hand? A rod." This morning I saw something that I've never noticed before. When God asked Moses what was in his hand, He then told him to "Cast it on the ground." I pray I am not reading more into this than is intended, but I see something very important in Moses' casting the rod on the ground.

May I indulge in my thoughts for a moment? God said, "What's in your hand?" But then He told Moses to let go of it. It seems that God was telling Moses, "You know what you can do with that rod, but now watch what I can do with it." When Moses cast it on the ground, the rod became a serpent and Moses was so fearful that he ran away from it. Then God told Moses, "Put forth thine hand, and take it by the tail." Now, I never intend to handle a snake, but if I were to have to pick one up, I'm not going to grab it by the tail. That snake could have flipped around and bit Moses. But it was God who told Moses to grab it by the tail. Again, God was showing Moses.... "This is what I can do with that rod and this is how I can protect you." Don't we all need those types of reminders from time to time.  Moses' rod is mentioned numerous times in the next 40 years and we must be very careful not to give Moses more credit than he is due. Moses held the rod, but God gave the power. And I can say that is true of each one of us. We may hold an instrument  of various purposes in our hands, but it will always be God who gives the power. Paul stressed that point in the book of 1 Corinthians 3:6, "I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase."  Jesus also brought that great truth to the forefront: "... without me ye can do nothing." All of our spiritual liberty has our precious Lord as its source. Thank you, Jesus!

1 Would you be free from the burden of sin?
There's power in the blood, power in the blood.
Would you o'er evil a victory win?
There's wonderful power in the blood.

Refrain:
There is power, power, wonder-working power
in the blood of the Lamb;
there is power, power, wonder-working power
in the precious blood of the Lamb.

2 Would you be free from your passion and pride?
There's power in the blood, power in the blood.
Come for a cleansing to Calvary's tide.
There's wonderful power in the blood. [Refrain]

4 Would you do service for Jesus your King?
There's power in the blood, power in the blood.
Would you live daily His praises to sing?
There's wonderful power in the blood. [Refrain]

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...