Genesis 45:4-5 "And Joseph said unto his brethren, Come near to me, I pray you. And they came near. And he said, I am Joseph your brother, whom ye sold into Egypt. (5) Now therefore be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves, that ye sold me hither: for God did send me before you to preserve life."
I want us to see how God was developing the life of Joseph even through all the
hardships and disappointments. For just a quick overview, we remember that
Jacob loved Joseph. We read in Genesis 37:3, "Now Israel loved Joseph more
than all his children, because he was the son of his old age: and he made him a
coat of many colours." Israel was God's name for Jacob. This show of love
set up a jealousy among the brothers toward Joseph. The very next verse tells
us, "... when his brethren saw that their father loved him more than all
his brethren, they hated him." When the opportunity presented itself, they
sold Joseph into slavery. Through the next years Joseph was in a strange land,
falsely accused, sent into prison, and by God's grace was lifted up to being
second in command in all of Egypt.
Today's passage takes place when his brothers come before him because of a
great famine to buy corn for their families. They did not recognize that this
was their brother, but they knew they had a need that only this man could meet.
Joseph had revealed himself to them and quite honestly they were fearful
because of their deeds toward him. Let's read today's text one more time.
"And Joseph said unto his brethren, Come near to me, I pray you. And they
came near. And he said, I am Joseph your brother, whom ye sold into Egypt. Now
therefore be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves, that ye sold me hither:
for God did send me before you to preserve life." (Genesis 45:4-5) Joseph
was giving them boldness, though undeserved, to come before him with their
request for "daily bread."
I hope we can see the most beautiful picture of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus
Christ. We are those undeserving brothers; yet, Jesus says, "Come near to
me." We may feel like our sin is too great for Jesus to forgive; yet He
says, "Come unto me all ye who labor and are heavy laden." We may
have the truth that it was our sin that nailed Him to the cross; yet Jesus
says, "God did send me before you to preserve life." Our Heavenly
Father says, "... come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain
mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." Oh how marvelous is this
wonderful grace of God!!
1 Hear the blessed Savior calling the oppressed,
“O ye heavy-laden, come to Me and rest;
Come, no longer tarry, I your load will bear,
Bring Me every burden, bring Me ev'ry care.”
Refrain:
Come unto Me; I will give you rest;
Take My yoke upon you, hear Me and be blest;
I am meek and lowly, come and trust My might;
Come, My yoke is easy, and My burden’s light.
2 Are you disappointed, wand’ring here and there,
Dragging chains of doubt and loaded down with care?
Do unholy feelings struggle in your breast?
Bring your case to Jesus, He will give you rest. [Refrain]